Note, August 7, 2013:
HEADS UP to ALL:
I’ve had it with some of you getting into personal back-and-forths with other readers, in violation of my Reader Comment policy.
I have said over and over that you are to stick to the issues and not get into personal engagements with others.
You can ask for more information or clarification without transcending this rule.
I have, in some cases, privately emailed some of the more egregious offenders to “call” them on violations and to offer guidance. I’ve come to the conclusion that the 2×4 upside the head is the approach that is required. Therefore, each party engaging in personal engagement will be suspended when one of you violates the rule. This way I don’t have to arbitrate the fairness or unfairness of suspending one but not the other.
This is my blog. You have no appeal.
We want to provide an opportunity for Readers to exchange ideas and discuss the issues of postings, and we want to be able to do this in a hands-off manner. Readers know that we do not allow obscenities and that personalities are to be avoided. These ground rules have been entirely at our discretion. When Readers have come close to or stepped over these lines, we’ve noted such either through our own Comment posting or by direct email when the Commenter uses a valid email. By-and-large, this has worked. Generally, Readers have been respectful of these ground rules.
These are subject to revision at any time entirely at our whim.
The following is permissible in the Comments:
- Discuss the issues, pro or con;
- Agreement or disagreement;
- Citing facts, articles, references or opinions to support or disagree with the post or to make your point;
- Hyperlinks to other resources;
- Policy, philosophical and strategic issues; and
- Appropriate photos, YouTube links, etc.
Updated, December 2011: Some Readers have apparently interpreted the “Personal Attacks” rule below as being limited to each other, and generally this has been the case. We are extending this qualification to personal attacks on the executives or other personnel of any company mentioned within these Comments. It is one thing to permissibly dispute the policies and public relations statements set by executives and personnel. It is quite another to attack the individual personally. This is not permitted.
- Personal attacks, no matter how innocuous;
- No attacks or criticisms about grammar, spelling or sentence structure. Not all people have the same levels of education and furthermore, bi-lingual Readers may not be fluent in their second language; neither negates their right to their opinion. Criticisms of these areas are meant to attack their credibility rather than debating the issues. This line of attack is absolutely verboten;
- Attacks on patriotism, whatever the reason;
- Going on tangents regarding policy and strategy; for example, Export policy is debatable but leap-frogging this to whether Gorbochev or Assange deserves the Nobel prize is ridiculous (and this is one example in which we Trashed the Comment before its posting);
- Use of false emails in your posting; Emails are not public information; we now demand that you provide a valid email address with your Comment, for we now require the ability to email you for “guidance” should we deem it necessary. If we attempt to do this and find the email is invalid, you will be blocked from reading and posting;
- Going off-topic generally; the posts are about the posts. For example, a post on A320neo doesn’t mean that going off on the A380 is appropriate. We will be a bit more lenient on this one providing you can make a logical connection;
- Sexist remarks;
- Nationalistic attacks;
- Attacks in integrity;
- And anything else we, in our sole discretion, decide crosses the line.
These new policies take effect January 17, 2011.
We neither endorse nor reject the Comments offered by our Readers. Comments are your opinions, which may be factually correct, incorrect or rationale or irrational. As long as you follow the guidelines above, you are free to post.
If you have complaints about a particular poster, email us directly and we will consider them. Public bashing is Not Allowed.